The story behind the propeller blade in our Memorial Garden has just come to light. This blade was recovered from the crash site of Lancaster PD259 (JO-G) 467 Squadron RAAF, which crashed near Kingussie, Scotland on the 31st August 1944 having taken off from its home base of RAF Waddington on a night training flight. Sadly, all members of her crew were killed in the incident. 6 bodies were recovered and an open parachute near the crash, belonging to the Navigator, who was never traced. The reason for the accident is open to debate. One such theory is the aircraft had suffered more damage than thought having been hit by flak the previous evening whilst on a bombing mission to Russia. Weather and an inexperienced crew are other theories. 467 Sqn was to move to Metheringham in June 1945 prior to disbanding after VJ day.
The RAF Waddington Heritage Centre also has a propeller from this crash.