Please help us to relocate Mr Fox.
The Metheringham Airfield Visitor Centre loaned a fox mascot last summer to a Lincolnshire based organisation for an exhibition but unfortunately he hasn’t been returned.
The item in question was a 106 Sqn crew fox mascot dressed in red coat and jodhpurs, some 15″ tall, with the accomplished missions written on his leg. Unfortunately, we loaned it in a busy period and the lady who collected him left before the loan paperwork was completed so his whereabouts are now unknown. We believe he may have been packed away after an exhibition and is now languishing in a store somewhere.
We wish his return, no questions asked, to MAVC, Westmoor Farm, Martin Moor, Metheringham, Lincs, LN4 3WF so he can be exhibited in his rightful place once more.
UPDATE: Mr Fox happily returned home toward the end of April. Friends of Metheringham Airfield are grateful to all who spread the word and are extremely happy to have him back where he belongs.
A New Addition……
Friends of Metheringham Airfield are delighted to have Dakota KG651 as their latest exhibit for the Martin Moor museum site. RAF Metheringham, was primarily a Class A wartime bomber station opened in 1943 and operating Lancasters from 106 Sqn. Following D Day, however, it became the airhead for casualty evacuation flights bringing wounded allied troops to the local military hospital at RAF Nocton Hall. This Dakota, therefore, will represent a little known facet of operations in the final stages of the war and hopefully provide future generations with hands on experiences of the early days of military evacuation as seen today by the brilliant work of the medics on the C17 hospital flights returning from Afghanistan.
Preparing for transport on Monday 16th November
DAKOTA C-47 KG651
Developed from the hugely successful 1930’s Douglas DC-3 passenger airliner, over 10,000 military transport variants where built during World War Two. The Dakota provided pivotal support for the massed airborne landings in Normandy on D-Day, Operation Market Garden and the crossing of the Rhine in 1945.
Our aircraft was built as a C47A at Oklahoma City in 1944. The manufacturer’s serial number is 13468. It was delivered to the US Army Air Force on 30th May 1944 as 42-108962 but was then immediately diverted to the Lend-Lease Program and allocated to the Royal Air Force as KG651 on 3rd June 1944.
As custodians of KG651 our main priority is to safeguard her preservation with a restoration program designed to return her to an original 1944 Specification to the highest standard possible.
Implement fund raising opportunities in order to provide KG651 with a permanent display hangar.
- Form a volunteer based support team dedicated to the continued maintenance and care of the aircraft.
- Work towards overhauling her engines in order to offer a passenger taxi experience.
- Maintain full public access to the aircraft including the cockpit.
KG651last flew in 2000 and is in a remarkably good condition as proved by a recent engineering inspection. In the longer term, if enough funds can be raised (current estimates indicate £300,000) and coupled with a Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) supervised restoration and maintenance schedule, there may even be a possibility to achieve the ultimate goal and look towards a future that may see KG651 offering passenger flights and operated as a nonprofit flying memorial to the Royal Air Force Transport Command.
All this depends totally on our ability to raise funds for the project and the support of the Public so we would be very grateful to hear from anyone that would be interested in contributing towards the restoration or joining the KG651 restoration team.
Detailed History of KG651
Built in Oklahoma City USA, allocated manufacturers serial number 13468 – 30th May 1944.
Delivered to the US Army Air Force on 30th May 1944 as 42-108962
Diverted to the Lend-Lease Program as RAF Registration KG651 in Montreal – 03 Jun 1944
Arrived in UK – 13 Jun 1944
Delivered to 109 Operational Training Unit (OTU) Crosby in Eden, Cumberland – 26 Aug 1944
24 Sqn RAF Hendon – 29 Aug 1945
1383 Transport Conversion Unit (T)CU Crosby in Eden – Mar 1946
1333 Transport Support Conversion Unit (TS)CU Leicester East – 23 Jul 1946
Surplus to requirements, into storage with 22 Maintenance Unit (MU) Silloth, Cumberland – 1 Oct 1946
Sold by the RAF to Air Prospectors – 21 Nov 1946
Pan African Air Charters Ltd of South Africa – Registered ZS-BRW – 16 May 1947
Cyprus Airways, named “Paphos” – Registered G-AMHJ – 06 Feb (year unknown)
Iraq Petroleum Transport Co Ltd – 28 Jun 1956
Hunting Clan Air Transport Ltd – 17 Apr 1957
Hunting Clan Air Services Ltd – 9 Jan 1958
Iraq Petroleum Transport Company Ltd, named “Qa:Petroleum” – 11 Jul 1958
British United Airways Ltd – 15 May 1961
Morton Air Services Ltd – 14 Jul 1962
BUIA L (Dak Mk 6) – 1 Nov 1968
British Island Airways – 20 Jul 1971
Site Aviation Ltd – 08 Jan to 21 Jan 1974
Macedonian Airways Ltd – 15 Mar 1974
Humber Airways Ltd – 30 Dec 1974
Pett Aviation Ltd – 1975
Intra Airways – 30 Jun 1975
International Air Cargo as SU-AZI – 5 Nov 1976
Intra Airways as G-AMHJ again – 26 Aug 1977
Jersey European Airways – 1 Nov 1979
Field Aviation Ltd, East Midlands Airport – 23 Jan 1980
Express Air Freight – Air Atlantique Coventry Airport – 29 Jan 1982
Air Luton – Date unknown
Air Atlantique – 1987
Retired from service and stored at Coventry Airport – Jun 2000
Presented to the Assault Glider Trust by – 7 Nov 2002
Presented to the RAF Transport Command memorial – 25 Mar 2014
Presented to the Metheringham Airfield Visitor Centre – 16 Nov 2015